[UNIGINE] Oil Rush

photo

• 2 weeks later...

Still it’s a shame you have to downgrade your graphics on your first release to be PS3 compliant, maybe having a PC release that is a limited edition with additional maps and all the eye candy. My position on strategy games to nail them is a well-balanced research tree with loads of options for different player dynamics driven by a clean uncluttered player hud. (but I am not expert just a gamer at heart)

And yes like Steve love the water…

Stay tuned for the gameplay video and website update in a week.

PS: We plan to make all the OilRush codebase and resources available to Unigine customers as soon as we add SVN access feature to the portal.

from what you can read on the internets about the first trailer movie on youtube, does this game not only feauture bombastic effects - also it will hit like a bomb the linux gaming community i guess :)

nice screens, and ofcourse best wishes in development process ;)

from what you can read on the internets about the first trailer movie on youtube, does this game not only feauture bombastic effects - also it will hit like a bomb the linux gaming community i guess :)

Yeah, Linux community is pretty excited about the game.

More screenshots:

post-4-068571200 1283866507_thumb.jpgpost-4-013593200 1283866514_thumb.jpgpost-4-088794600 1283866521_thumb.jpgpost-4-065813200 1283866529_thumb.jpgpost-4-058723900 1283866537_thumb.jpgpost-4-049286100 1283866546_thumb.jpgpost-4-042222200 1283866555_thumb.jpgpost-4-031561200 1283866563_thumb.jpgpost-4-014478500 1283866571_thumb.jpgpost-4-066951000 1283866578_thumb.jpg

Sweet jezz, that nuke was just ... awesome! Impressed! Well done guys. :) I am sure you'll add a lot more developers to your user base. Looking forward to seeing the project on SVN.

Going off topic here-

I have been looking at the Unigine for a while now, i'm well impressed by the physics system you have got in place. Particle system and editor tools are rich as well. The samples provide a rich bouquet of functionality too.

The two major gripes I have thus far :

1) The lack of adequate documentation in certain area -

eg: consider Unigine::Time::getSunDirection() hidden away in 'core\scripts\time.h'. You supply the Lat, Longitude and time during setup and presto you're able to simulate solar movement based on time.

Brilliant functionality but sans documentation, sans code comments . I've no idea how many more hidden gems I must have missed !

2) The renderer is not on a separate CPU thread (as of Apr, 2010 build). I know you're doing physics on other thread(s). I wonder what the plans are for supporting a separate render thread to better utilize scheduling on multicore architecture commonplace today. Wouldn't you require a separate execution path for your renderer on the PS3 anyway?

Sorry for being Mr. Complainy-Pants ;)

Regards!

Dev

(Dibyendu Das)

• 4 weeks later...

Sweet jezz, that nuke was just ... awesome! Impressed! Well done guys. :( I am sure you'll add a lot more developers to your user base. Looking forward to seeing the project on SVN.

Thank you! We also hope that sharing OilRush codebase and resources will help other teams working on Unigine-powered projects.

Going off topic here-

I have been looking at the Unigine for a while now, i'm well impressed by the physics system you have got in place. Particle system and editor tools are rich as well. The samples provide a rich bouquet of functionality too.

The two major gripes I have thus far :

1) The lack of adequate documentation in certain area -

eg: consider Unigine::Time::getSunDirection() hidden away in 'core\scripts\time.h'. You supply the Lat, Longitude and time during setup and presto you're able to simulate solar movement based on time.

Brilliant functionality but sans documentation, sans code comments . I've no idea how many more hidden gems I must have missed !

We are working on more tutorials and documentation articles on a regular basis, there will be more to come.

2) The renderer is not on a separate CPU thread (as of Apr, 2010 build). I know you're doing physics on other thread(s). I wonder what the plans are for supporting a separate render thread to better utilize scheduling on multicore architecture commonplace today. Wouldn't you require a separate execution path for your renderer on the PS3 anyway?

PS3 render is different from PC one, while there is no plan to make PC render multi-threaded in the next 3 months.

• 1 month later...

it looks sweet

just saw today a news in the evening TV news about a new project near Laptev Sea (Tiksi) for Oil and Petroleum Pipelines Russia wants to gain in Arctic Sea in the next 5 years.

well offtopic but to connect it with oilrush the setup is really cool. can't wait for it :)

• 3 weeks later...

I guess we've reached the point where we can open access to OilRush as another reference game project for our customers. Wrapping up the build now.

Hi Denis, there seems to be a small problem with oil film rendering. Sometimes some oil film meshes dis-/re-appear on camera movement

post-82-0-96173700-1293106020_thumb.jpg

Sometimes some oil film meshes seems to be rendered above, sometimes under water surface level which is visible as popping

post-82-0-92261400-1293106036_thumb.jpg

Apart from that great artwork/effects !

Hi Denis, there seems to be a small problem with oil film rendering. Sometimes some oil film meshes dis-/re-appear on camera movement

oil-film-artifact-1.jpg

Sometimes some oil film meshes seems to be rendered above, sometimes under water surface level which is visible as popping

oil-film-artifact-2.jpg

Apart from that great artwork/effects !

Wrong sorting problem, we'll fix it.

• 5 weeks later...