JointWheel Restitution

photo

Hi, is there any way we can assign a restitution value to a shapeless jointwheel (in sense of shape collision, not joint restitution)? If not, will it yield a stable result to add a shapecylinder to the tires in addition to the jointwheel?

Hi there!

Could you please give me more details of what you're trying to achieve? I assume you're looking for some kind of suspension simulation, right? If so then you can use JointSuspension for that purposes.

What is the advantage of jointwheel over jointsuspension (aside from performance issues maybe)? I have created a vehicle with jointwheels, and it's a little too bouncy on the floor. Tuning the wheel damping and spring constant does save it a bit, but is there a way to tune resitution of a jointwheel? Also, does adding shape to a jointwheel wheel mess up the stability?

PS: The vehicle seems to be alright now, but still I wish to know if it is particulary discouraged to use shapes with jointwheels :)

Hi Cem,

JointWheel is simple ray-cast whell, so the performance will be better than with JointSuspension. Adding physical shape to JointWheel will not give you expected results, for that purposes is better to use JointSuspension.

I have created a vehicle with jointwheels, and it's a little too bouncy on the floor.

Have you tried to adjust WheelThreshold parameter? It could help a lot in this case.

However, if the car is stable now it is better to not modify any physical parameters :) 

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: