Simulating steel cable - (almost) non-elastic

photo

Hi,

I'm simulating a hoist operation with a 5/16" steel cable and 50-300kg loads. For this I would like to use the BodyRope class.

I've experimented with the various rope samples, and one thing I notice is that all ropes are very elastic. If I create a rope of height (length) 10.0 units I would like the rope to stay 10.0 ~ 10.1 units long, even under heave load.

Also, the number of longitudinal segments the rope is made of seams to make a difference, which makes sense, since internally each pair of segments is connected by a joint which can have elastic properties.

Any recommendations on the parameters to tweak? I've tried many different combinations of Damping, Stretch, Restitution etc, but the rope either remains too elastic, or crashes the physics simulation.

Best regards,

Jorrit

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jorrit,

How are you? Sorry for the late reply.

We don't think that it is possible to do such kind of simulations with BodyRope. More flexible solution is to constuct ObjectMeshDynamic in realtime, based on current weight of the lifting object (assuming that you can describe cable extending with simple mathematics formulas). Also, you can try to build your cable with other joint type (for example, JointHinge), but this setup process could take a lot of time, because of the real-time physics limitations and difficult setup process.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: