[SOLVED] FilePath Ulink problem

photo

Hi All,

I have just recently managed to get the FilePlugin with multiple data paths working nicely with our new prototype.

Now with the updated SDK I have converted these paths to ulink files, and run into some issues.

- It seems this path may be string limited? And it concatenates the data_path + ulink path + data file path together, making extremely long path names.

- We cannot use alternate drive paths anymore? Only relative from the data folder is available? This appears to be a step backwards to me - if you need multiple data sourced paths, it shouldnt really matter where those sources are. Making every source relative reduces the filesystem substantially.

If there are work arounds for this, or if I am doing something wrong please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Manguste for the response.

I assume the FilePath plugin is not available anymore - can it be reinstigated and run with the current system? (just hoping for a simple fix). Otherwise I guess we will need to go back a SDK version.

To help, I should make it clear why anyone would want drive paths:

We are using the Unigine SDK so we have a simulation deployed as a runtime with all the paths local and relative - this is fine. However when we are building simulators we have artists working in highly modified editors that source data sets from specific locations that can (not always) reside on a graphics server, a secondary drive, and external drive and so on. Hope that explains our use case.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

Thank you for the details.

I assume the FilePath plugin is not available anymore - can it be reinstigated and run with the current system? (just hoping for a simple fix). Otherwise I guess we will need to go back a SDK version.

You can use the previous version, it should work fine. (Maybe rebuilding the plugin would be required, but that's not likely).

Dave,

We've added absolute path support in ulink files, it will be available in the next SDK.

As for paths, could you give an example to illustrate the "string limited" part?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Manguste,

Great news about the absolute paths - thats going to be a great help for us.

I was using C# to generate relative paths to the folders I needed to get to. The path consisted of an extremely long series of "../../../../" and many subdirectories. This was autogenerated by the file selection of the tools we are using. When these got large there were problems with material and texture loading. In the log, the path appeared concatenated. I could try and replicate again but I would have to revert back to some old code now. I might try and regen a log again with a test harness - at the moment Im a bit busy so it might take me a few days to do this again.

Thanks again for the fix!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

You are welcome :) BTW, you can wait a bit for an SDK update (it's right around the corner, probably, we'll release it by the end of next week) and check if absolute paths work for you.