[SOLVED] WaterBody waves not in physics sim?

photo

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a simple ocean swell, and float buoyant objects using a water mesh object with WaterBody and the native wave parameters.

It seems that the wave paramaters (Wave 0, Wave 1, Wave 2, Wave 3) do not effect the physics simulation of buoyant objects. It appears that the objects buoyancy is based on the z height of the watermesh and the waves are only for rendered visual effect.

Am I doing something wrong?

How do we make the native procedural waves in the water mesh effect the simulation?

Cheers,

Nat.

*Edit - it seems that the wave paramaters are only a vertex shader.. :(

Nat, keep breathing: based on other postings from danni and steve in regard to large area ocean simulation with big waves (steve stated 3-5m ...) I am not sure if WaterBody will be able to cover such large areas with the required resolution and fidelity.

My understanding is that WaterBody is a perfect solution for small puddle-/lake-sized water areas, but not for ocean-scale simulations. Maybe frustum can comment on this assumtion ?!  

It would be nice to see this solution extended to the horizon.  Perhaps this could be achieved by using tesselation close to the camera and limiting the distance from the camera that physics is calculated. (ie treat the water as flat outside the camera radius).

Also, a major optimisation could be achieved by calculating physics only in object bounding box.

My understanding is that WaterBody is a perfect solution for small puddle-/lake-sized water areas, but not for ocean-scale simulations. Maybe frustum can comment on this assumtion ?!  

True, BodyWater works for meshes of the limited size. I'm Frustum's voice today since he's busy refactoring shaders :))

It would be nice to see this solution extended to the horizon.

Steve, technically it's possible (with optimizations, you are right here), but for the nearest future it's not on the roadmap, I'm afraid.

• 1 year later...