3D GIS

photo

A more detailed answer only on 3D GIS render implications and challenges can be found in the very good book "3D Engine Design for Virtual Globes" which - if I remember it right - is available in your private library.. have a short look, just 500 pages....

I've looked through this book (thank you once again for recommending it) - it seems useful (especially at the stage of coordinate conversion), but I had a feeling that it doesn't cover all GIS-related issues.

To put it short: UNIGINE shouldn't try to put too much energy into this area

1) because it's a dammed complex topic and

2) most of the required data pre-processing etc. will be project specific anyway

Agreed. That's why we are trying to understand what features are generic for all projects and what formats would be enough.

Yes i agree, Unigine tackling full GIS capabilities is too complex for the dev time available.

I think what could be accomplished would be import of Geotiffs, for the height data for the Unigine Terrain System, and import of shp, (and maybe kml) files. Unigine should just specify what, grid and projection they want to use internally, and then get people to convert their data to the correct projection and grid, prior to import to Unigine.

Global mapper can handle hundreds of formats and changes in projection. There is more than likely free software that does the same thing while maintaining georeferencing of the data. If you want to spend a lot of money then there are the high end GIS packages like ArcGIS or Mapinfo.