[SOLVED] OilRush 1.02 Multiplayer is not working

photo

This is really outrageous. Launched OilRush on Linux, to test networking performance. Went to Multiplayer > Create, chose 2-player map. "Start" button was grayed out, so I assumed I had to wait for wickedshell to connect. His game just got stuck on "please wait" message when he entered my IP address and pressed Join button. Same thing happened when he tried to host a game and I was trying to connect.

What is going on? I just saw https://developer.un..._5844#entry5844 and these guys started with Unigine earlier last year. So if they couldn't figure out how to get networking to work since then, there is obviously an issue.

Come on Unigine team, help us out please. What happened with: "Registered developers get access to the full scope of online services, including the following: Private help desk" ?

EDIT: Tried networking_chat_client demo and it seems to connect.

How are you testing Oil Rush? Over LAN or over the Internet?

Any errors in the log on the client side?

Does chat demo work with the same ip and port as you set up for Oil Rush?

Finally got it to work. There is some issue when you tried connecting once and then canceled connection or simply waited to time it out, and then when you try connecting again, right away, it becomes unresponsive (the menu; I was able to click X and close the window as i was running OilRush in windowed mode).

We were running it over the Internet. Were are the log files?

Yes, chat demo was tested on the same PC with the same settings. Port forwarding is setup correctly.

There is a huge delay between player connecting, being initialized on the server and being able to do anything.

Log file can be found in ~/.OilRush folder in Linux.

There is a huge delay between player connecting, being initialized on the server and being able to do anything.

What do you mean by this?

After client connects to server it receives game information one more time (to get the newest one), so there can be a network lag between receiving "server accepted connection" message and game information message.

I'll try to reproduce this use-case with not responding server and check if there are any issues.

Indeed, there was a bug with "Lookup by ip" feature in 1.02.

Thank you for the bug report.

It seems that this issue is fixed already in our current development version. Updated version will be available with the next oil rush patch.

What do you mean by this?

What I noticed was the inital connect took time(which is fine I get that), but that while playing, (ping of around 94 on average), the camera would move fluidly, unit dispatching worked relatively well, but when telling a platform to build a turret or upgrade a turret, there was a high high lag time from me clicking the build button, to a turret starting to build, and often taking multiple attmepts to click it and get a turret build. In single player it took multiple clicks sometimes, but multiplayer it tended to take 4 or 5 attempts on average to build something, which doesn't really make sense. (Especially client side perdiction could fake it, until the server confirms the action).

As I have already mentioned here, there is no client side prediction in Oil Rush. Thus yes, there is lag between player initiating something and server confirming it.

Latency can differ over the time. It could be lower at time of connection and higher during the game. Current ping time to server can be seen in players list (press and hold L key if you haven't changed your controls layout).

If ping becomes higher than 75 ms latency becomes noticeable, because in this case client lags behind the server for more than 3 game ticks.

There is no need to click serveral times to build a turret. One click will be enough, but it will take some time to be confirmed by server.

As I have already mentioned here, there is no client side prediction in Oil Rush. Thus yes, there is lag between player initiating something and server confirming it.

Can client-side prediction be coded using UnigineScript ?

If ping becomes higher than 75 ms latency becomes noticeable, because in this case client lags behind the server for more than 3 game ticks.

This is extremely horrible as even with broadband connection at 1Mbps upstream and 10Mbps downstream (slightly better than an average broadband connection in USA), being in different states we got ping of 90+. Just imagine people from totally different countries playing against each other. I feel bad for Aussies :/ Steel Storm for example is very playable at ping of 250+ (smooth movement, almost no delays).

There is no need to click serveral times to build a turret. One click will be enough, but it will take some time to be confirmed by server.

Indeed, there isn't. But if you guys gonna assume player will play the game exactly how you play tested it, you are doomed to failure ;) Players tend to do crazy things just because of the curious and impatient nature of the human beings. Also, just from the experience, if players will report the issue and you will reply to them in the way you did, you can count on loosing players :) Developers know that there are some players are tend to be slightly less than bright, and therefore design the game to avoid having issues with such players, but it's a bad idea to point out to the player that (s)he is less than bright ;)

All I can say is that I clicked, waited 3 seconds and turrets would not start to build.

Yes, client-side prediction should be implemented in Unigine script. Client-side prediction is a game-specific feature and should be a part of game logic.

Oil Rush is not a FPS game it is an RTS game. And during development time we assumed that adding client-side prediction and drastically increasing game code complexity (and decreasing performance) will not worth it.

Yes, sometimes there are issues with not fast reacting input in Oil Rush. But it is not connected with multiplayer code.